The Town of Dumfries prohibits discrimination against any person in any practice or procedure relating to hiring, promotion, discharge, pay, training, fringe benefits, and other aspects of employment on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity or sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, age, religion, political affiliation, disability which is unrelated to a person’s occupational qualifications, or any other non merit factor which is not a bona fide occupational qualification. Reasonable accommodations which do not impose an undue hardship are available to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities, as defined in the Americans with Disabilities Act, during the recruitment process and during employment. The Town of Dumfries is an equal opportunity employer.
If you have any questions, please call 703-221-3400.
Permits and Inspection Manager
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY MIDNIGHT ON AUGUST 23, 2019.
Salary Range, Benefits and Classification
$55,000 – $65,000 annually. The Town of Dumfries offers a full range of employee benefits including, healthcare, retirement, and training resources.
This position shall be responsible for managing the Town Permits and Inspections division. This position reports directly to the Town Manager and serves on the Town Executive Leadership Team. The selected candidate will have demonstrated knowledge and experience administering the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code and property maintenance codes.
- Serves as Town Building Commissioner
- Provides high-quality customer services to residents, developers, and business owners, in the execution of inspection duties
- Reviews building plans and inspects buildings in the process of construction, alteration, or repair for compliance with building code requirements and for application of safe construction practices
- Authorizes issuance of permits for building, plumbing, electrical, and mechanical work
- Serves on-call for emergency inspections of existing buildings for hazardous conditions, structural failures or improper uses
- Coordinates with architects, engineers, property owners, and developers in the review of construction documents, problem-solving, and project feasibility
- Provides management support to code enforcement officers
- Provides recommendations to the Town Manager to enhance business operations
- Must be certified by the Commonwealth of Virginia pursuant to the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code including Combination Inspections (Residential and Commercial), Building Plans Examiner, Electrical Plans Examiner, Plumbing Plans Examiner, Mechanical Plans Examiner, and Fire Protection.
- Must be U.S. citizen or eligible to work in the United States
- Must possess valid Virginia driver’s license
- Must submit to a criminal background check and credit check
- Must submit to pre-employment drug screening
Americans with Disability Act Requirements
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. Prospective employees are encouraged to discuss accommodations.
Physical Requirements and Working Environment
Due to the nature of work assignments, employees must be able to perform detailed work on multiple, concurrent tasks, with frequent interruptions and under time constraint. The essential duties of this classification may require the ability to regularly talk, hear, see, and perform repetitive motions; frequently reach and finger; and occasionally climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, stand, push, pull, lift, walk, grasp, and feel. In terms of the physical strength to perform the essential duties, this classification is considered to be sedentary, exerting up to 15 pounds of force occasionally, and a negligible amount of force to move objects such as filing boxes and paper.
Please visit our website to complete the Town employment application: http://www.dumfriesva.gov/about-the-town/employment/
Police Department Administrative Assistant
The Town of Dumfries is seeking an Administrative Assistant in the Police Department. This position will perform difficult skilled administrative support work, provide clerical assistance to department personnel, maintain the Police Chief’s schedule, establish and maintain financial data to assist with the annual departmental budget, and related work as required.
Applicants must possess a valid driver’s license and must submit to a background check, drug testing, polygraph examination. Salary range $40,000 to $45,00 (DOQ), including a standard benefits package that includes VRS retirement and paid employee health insurance.
Submit cover letter, resume, and Dumfries Police Department Application to Dumfries Police Department, 17755 Main Street, Dumfries, VA 20226. Closing date: 8/9/19 (EOE)
Police Department Application
Dumfries Police Department Officer
The Town of Dumfries has two (2) Certified Police Officer positions.
- Must be a Citizen of the United States;
- Must be 21 years of age;
- Must be a high school graduate or equivalent;
- Must have a valid VA Driver’s License at the time of employment start date;
- Must not have been convicted of any felony.
Persons who are interested must submit a completed application to the police department. Resumes should be attached to the application.
Applicants must successfully complete:
- Physical Agility Test;
- Polygraph Examination;
- Psychological Examination;
- Physical Examination (to include a Drug Screen);
- Credit Check;
- Extensive background investigation (i.e. criminal background check, driver transcript review, ect.).
Pay is $49,904 and a standard benefits package that includes VRS LEO retirement and employee fully funded health insurance.
Submit cover letter, resume, and Dumfries Police Department Application to Captain Thompson 17755 Main Street, Dumfries, VA 22026. Closing date: 08/20/2019 (EOE)
Police Officer Job Description
Police Department Application
Director of Finance (Treasurer)
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY MIDNIGHT ON SEPTEMBER 8, 2019.
Salary Range, Benefits and Classification
$75,000 – $100,000 annually.
This is a full-time exempt position. The Town of Dumfries offers a full range of employee benefits including, healthcare, retirement, and training resources.
This position will serve as the Director of Finance/ Town Treasurer for the Town of Dumfries, VA and shall be responsible for the administration and oversight of all financial operations. This position reports directly to the Town Manager and serves on the Town Executive Leadership Team. The selected candidate will have demonstrated knowledge and experience in budgeting, purchasing, accounts payable, payroll and financial reporting.
• Oversees the development and implementation of a sound debt structure to ensure a strong financial position for the Town
• Develops financial forecasts, reports and implements fiscal systems
• Develops, interprets and implements policies and procedures to ensure compliance with statutory obligations
• Provides best practice solutions in financial management
• Provides Executive oversight of financial operations for all Funds
• Collaborates to design, implement and modify programs to provide proactive solutions that deliver quality customer service to internal and external customers
• Provides recommendations to the Town Manager on the allocation of resources for operating and capital improvement needs
• Bachelor’s in Business Administration, Political Science, Finance or related field and ten (10) years of progressively responsible professional financial management experience
• Must be U.S. citizen or eligible to work in the United States
• Must submit to a criminal background check and credit check
• Must submit to pre-employment drug screening
• Licensure as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and/or Certified Government Finance Officer (CGFO)
Submit cover letter, resume and Town Application to the Town of Dumfries at 17739 Main Street, Suite 200, Dumfries, VA 20226 or at PIO@dumfriesva.gov. Closing date: 09/08/19 (EOE)
Town of Dumfries Application