The Town of Dumfries Department of Economic Development offers an integrated approach to support the creation of new businesses, the expansion and retention of existing businesses, and redevelopment of under-utilized areas of the Town.
Our Department of Economic Development focuses on three core areas:
- Business attraction
- Business retention and expansion
The goal of each core area is to focus on generating new job opportunities, increase the amount of new income coming into the community from outside its market area, and create greater capital investment in the community.
The Town of Dumfries is home to over 230 businesses ranging in size from home based to small to medium to large. We pride ourselves on providing an environment that will encourage a healthier and more prosperous future for our businesses and residents and are committed to encouraging entrepreneurism as well as supporting existing businesses of all sizes and attracting new businesses to position our Town to be competitive in both Northern Virginia and PrinceWilliam County, Virginia.
Business Retention & Expansion (BR&E)
The Town of Dumfries recognizes and values the contribution our existing businesses bring to our community. To help facilitate future growth of our existing businesses, our Economic Development Program focuses on providing assistance through:
- An existing business outreach program
- Serving as a liaison or point of contact between any and all government entities
- Facilitating communication between the business and Town departments
- Assisting with expediting regulatory and permit process/development review process
- Provide site selection assistance for businesses needing to expand or relocate
- Promoting the businesses successes
- Responding to any general business retention and expansion request
- Providing ongoing assistance as needed
We realize that by addressing common business concerns we are creating an environment that will encourage a healthier and more prosperous future for both our existing businesses and our residents. Businesses that stay competitive are more likely to remain and expand in the Town.