Permit Information – Zoning Permit
PLANNING AND ZONING DIVISION
The goal of the Planning and Zoning Division is to develop sound land use policies that enhances, preserves, conserves, and improves the livability of the Town of Dumfries; and to promote awareness on the vital role short and long-term planning has in shaping the future growth of the community.
The Planning/Zoning Division is responsible for administering all land development activity within the Town of Dumfries. Responsibilities include but not limited to:
1. Reviewing and processing applications for subdivision, site plans, plats, permitted, conditional use permits and other related development requests
2. Reviewing and reporting on land development applications before the Planning Commission and Town Council
3. Developing short and long-term land use policies
4. Updating the Town’s Comprehensive Plan
5. Interpreting Town Codes
6. Updating and maintaining Town Codes and policies to reflect the Land Use Chapter of the Comprehensive Plan and the Vision of the Town Council
7. Investigating and resolving citizen complaints
Staff encourages anyone considering submitting a request for a permit, site plan, construction plan, rezoning etc. to call and schedule a meeting with the Town Planner/Zoning Administrator at 703-221-3400 prior to moving forward with a project.
Any property owner may submit an application requesting a change in a Zoning District with respect to their property. All rezoning requests require a completed application along with the appropriate site plans and documents. Each application needs to include a detailed description of the rezoning, how the rezoning fits within the Comprehensive Plan and the Towns vision; and will further the Economic Development goals of the Town.
The Process for the rezoning requests includes:
1. Submitting a completed application to the Town Planner/Zoning Administrator 60 days prior to the Planning Commission meeting the request will be presented
2. Presentation of the rezoning request to the Planning Commission
3. Recommendation by the Planning Commission to the Town Council
4. Public Hearing on the application
5. Consideration by the Town Council for approval or denial
The Town of Dumfries requires three forms of notice be given for public hearings. These notices must be provided 15-30 days before the hearing date and include:
1. Publication of a legal notice in a local newspaper. The Town will draft this notice and forward it to the newspaper, however the applicant is responsible for bearing the publication cost of the legal notice.
2. Written notice to adjacent property owners. As part of the application, you will be required to submit a list of all property owners within 200 feet of the property in question, excluding public right-of-way. Staff will provide you with a copy of the written notice and will send out the notifications to surrounding property owners via certified letter. The applicant is responsible for bearing the costs of the mailing.
3. A sign notifying the public of the hearing placed at the site. The Town will provide the sign to the applicant to post on the site; the applicant is responsible for bearing the costs of the sign.
Consideration of Rezoning Requests:
1. Staff will present the Rezoning application to the Planning Commission.
2. Applicants are expected to attend the Planning Commission meeting to respond to any questions the Commissioners have regarding the application.
3. The Planning Commission will discuss the project and vote to recommend to the Town Council either approval or denial of the request the rezoning of the site.
4. In order for the Planning Commission to make a favorable recommendation, there must be a simple majority in favor of the application.
5. Following a recommendation by the Planning Commission, the application will be forwarded to the Town Council for consideration.