Planning Zoning Department
The goal of the Planning and Zoning Department is to develop sound land use policies that enhance, preserve, conserve, and improve the livability of the Town of Dumfries; and to promote awareness of the vital role short and long-term planning has in shaping the future growth of the community.
The Planning/Zoning Division is responsible for administering all land development activity within the Town of Dumfries. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Reviewing and processing applications for subdivision, site plans, plats, permitted, conditional use permits and other related development requests.
- Reviewing and reporting on land development applications before the Planning Commission and Town Council.
- Developing short and long-term land use policies.
- Updating the Town’s Comprehensive Plan.
- Interpreting Town Codes.
- Updating and maintaining Town Codes and policies to reflect the Land Use Chapter of the Comprehensive Plan and the Vision of the Town Council.
- Investigating and resolving citizen complaints.
Staff encourages anyone considering submitting a request for a permit, site plan, construction plan, rezoning, etc. to call and schedule a meeting with Jatinder Khokhar the Town Planner/Zoning Administrator at 703-221-3400, ext. 146 or firstname.lastname@example.org prior to moving forward with a project.
The Town Zoning Ordinance controls development within the Town.
For a quick reference to uses allowed in each of the Town Zoning Districts, click here. Please note that this is not the official version, as all official use classifications are contained in the Zoning Ordinance. This is only available for reference. For further questions, contact the Zoning Administrator Jatinder Khokhar at 703-221-3400, ext. 146 or email at email@example.com