The Town Treasurer is responsible for:
- Accounts Payable
- Accounts Receivable
- Real Estate taxes billing, payments and collections
- Business Licenses (BPOL)
- Vehicle Licenses (Decals)
- Assist Town Manager in Budget preparation
- Audit preparation
A business license is authorization stating you may operate your business in the Town of Dumfries. All businesses are required to obtain a business license from the Town before operating a business. Business licenses are administered through the Treasurer’s Office.
A New Business License is Required When:
- Starting a new business
- Relocating an existing business
- Expanding an existing business
- A change in ownership occurs
General Facts about Business Licenses:
- An inspection of your business premises will be required prior to obtaining a business license.
- Your business license is valid from January 1st each year until December 31st of each year and must be renewed annually.
- You are required to post your business license at your business—it must be visible at all times.
- In addition to your primary business license, you may need additional business licenses based on the specific use of your business.
Contact the Treasurer’s Office for an application for a business license or to see if there are any other uses that will require a business license at 703-221-3400 or download the application.
Contact the Treasurer’s Office for an application for a Alcoholic Beverage License at 703-221-3400 or download the application.
Town Vehicle Decals
All motor vehicles residing within the Town of Dumfries including, but not limited to, automobiles, trucks, motorcycles, motor scooters or vehicles of like design are required to display a valid Town decal.
Decals are purchased annually. Renewal notices are mailed out February 1st each year showing prior year information, we ask that the information be reviewed and if any changes need to be made, please make the changes on the renewal notice and you can mail the renewal notice back with payment to receive the decals by mail or you can purchase the decals in person at Town Hall. Decals go on sale March 1st and need to be displayed by April 15th, cost for the decals are $24.00. The decal(s) are valid from April 15th to April 15th of the following year.
A fine may be imposed for noncompliance of no more than $250.00.
All payments can be made in person at Town Hall or mailed to 17755 Main Street, Dumfries, VA 22026. The Town of Dumfries accepts credit card payments by way of Visa and Mastercard (a 2.15% convenience fee applies).
You may pay real estate taxes online with most major credit cards or your check through the secure website OfficialPayments.com or by calling 1-800-272-9829.
Click our pay online link and you will be taken to the site. You will need to enter your personal information, credit card or check information and the Jurisdiction code 6234. Please have your tax bill handy.
Official Payments will charge a convenience fee for this service. You will be able to see what the fee is and accept or decline before making your payment. You will receive a confirmation of payment and your credit card will reflect the payment to the Town of Dumfries and the convenience fee charged by Official Payments.
For any questions, or comments, please contact:
703-221-3400 ext. 110