Permit Information

In accordance with certain state and town codes, there are a number of permits that are required within the Town of Dumfries.  These include, but are not limited to:

  • Building Permits
  • Conditional Use Permits (CUP)
  • Occupancy Permits
  • Public Works Permits
  • Sign Permits
  • Site Plan Permits
  • Land Disturbing Permits
  • Temporary Roadside Food Vendor Permits
  • Temporary Use Permits
  • Zoning Permits.
Click here to look under Document Center for permit Applications.

In December 2013, the Dumfries Town Council amended Chapter 42 of its Town Code by adding Article III, Temporary Roadside Food Vendors.  If you are interested in applying for a temporary roadside food vendor permit, please read the Temporary Roadside Food Vendor Ordinance and submit the completed permit application with the requisite items to the Zoning Administrator.

The type of permit and cost is determined by the project.  All permits require the submission of an application to begin the project and inspection upon completion.  The duration of the review process is dependent on the type of permit and the approvals required.  Some approvals may be granted at the staff level, while others may require consideration by the Planning Commission and approval by the Town Council.

For specific information regarding permits, please contact 703-221-3400