Route One Widening Project
- November 1, 2022 - JMT has completed the value engineering for the project. A few entrances to existing business and turn lane designs are being coordinated with parcel owners. Bridge and drainage plans are nearing approval. The utility coordination portion of the project has begun. Right of Way acquisition has also begin its initial phases with surveying those parcels along Route 1.
- November 16, 2021 - JMT Engineering has begun 'Value Engineering' for the Route 1 project. During these discussions, the Town, along with PWC Transportation division, reviews the recommended changes to the project for cost savings, fewer right-of-way takings, pedestrian safety, and reduced or eliminated impacts to buildings and land owners based on best management practices and detailed analysis of the design. It is anticipated that by spring of 2022, the revised design will be made available to the public.
- January 19, 2021 to approve an agreement between the Town of Dumfries and the Price William County Board of Supervisors to transfer management of the Fraley Blvd Route 1 Widening project to PWC. The PWC Transportation Department will complete the final design and be responsible for implementing the right-of-way and the construction phases, once the agreement is approved by the PWC BOS. Right-of-way negotiation is expected to begin mid to late spring.
- January 22, 2021 - The Town of Dumfries Town Council unanimously voted January 19, 2021 to approve an agreement between the Town of Dumfries and the Price William County Board of Supervisors to transfer management of the Fraley Blvd Route 1 Widening project to PWC. The PWC Transportation Department will complete the final design and be responsible for implementing the right-of-way and the construction phases, once the agreement is approved by the PWC BOS. Right-of-way negotiation is expected to begin mid to late spring.
- August 21, 2020 - VDOT has completed the 60% design phase of the project and is expected to have a final public meeting for Town citizens. Date to be announced.
- July 9th, 2020 - The Northern Virginia Transportation Authority has awarded the Town of Dumfries additional funding necessary for the construction phase of this project. This will allow the project to remain on track and proceed with Right- Of Way Acquisition starting July 1, 2021. Press Release
Route 1 Northbound (Fraley Blvd) between Route 1109 (Brady’s Hill Road) and Route 234 (Dumfries Road) is classified as an Urban Principal Arterial. Route 1 Southbound is on a separate alignment. This project will convert northbound Route 1 from a 2-lane undivided roadway to a divided 6-lane so both northbound and southbound traffic will be on the northbound alignment. The proposed typical section for the 2.1-mile project will consist of a six-lane facility with three 12’ lanes in each direction. In addition to the six travel lanes, an outside lane will be added for bicycle use in both directions. The proposed design will provide a 16’ raised median with sidewalks and shared use paths on opposite sides of the roadway. The design will follow the GS-5 (Urban Principal Arterial) standard at 45 mph design speed, as outlined in the Road Design Manual. The existing southbound Route 1 (Main St) is not a part of the realignment but will be converted to a Town maintained roadway.
Follow the link for more information on the newly proposed Planned Main Street Plan District and the Town Council Presentation Information.
• Increase capacity and reduce congestion
• Increase safety
• Improve access to businesses
• Provide protected bus stop locations
• Provide pedestrian accommodations
• Enhance the quality of life
To see complete VDOT project information go here.
To see the complete NVTA Six Year Improvement Plan Please go here